Italian Ground Beef and Vegetable Soup (Paleo)
It is soup time!
- 8-12 cups Beef Bone Broth (or beef broth if you do not have bone broth made)
- 1 – 1.5 lbs grass fed ground beef
- 3T olive oil or oil of your choice
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (15 oz.) organic chopped tomatoes
- 2 ribs celery sliced 1/4″ thick
- 2-3 cups chopped green cabbage
- 2 cups green beans cut in 1 inch pieces (frozen are fine — options for the purist)
- 1T Italian herb blend (I used Penzeys Italian Herb Blend)
- 2t French Coarse Gray Salt
- 8 cubes Dorot Frozen Basil (optional)
- 2T red wine vinegar
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- 2-3 cups frozen chopped spinach
In a large pot or stock pot, brown ground beef in olive oil. Add onion and garlic, cooking over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Add broth, stir. Add remaining ingredients up to Spinach. Simmer soup on the stove for 3o minutes or until cabbage has wilted to your liking. Turn off heat, add spinach, stir and serve! If you consume dairy, the addition of a tablespoon or two of grated parmesan cheese when served is delicious.
While the Dorot frozen herb/seasoning cubes are not Paleo (I choose to live in denial over the small amount of soybean oil they contain), they do offer the quick addition of as-close-to-fresh herbs without being fresh that you can get. I have seen the following varieties: basil, cilantro, chopped garlic, chopped parsley.
This recipe is a family favorite that used to include the addition of pearl barley and diced red skin potatoes before adapting to the Paleo diet.